
About a year ago, I discovered the wonders of Netflix’s Instant Play feature and since then I’ve taken trips to Jamaica, India, and on multiple occasions, explored the varied metropolitan areas of Japan…well vicarious travels through Anthony Bourdain. Currently in its 6th season with no signs of stopping, “No Reservations” is my favorite travel show centered around food and culture, or as the crew of the show prefer to call them: gastronomical adventures. Witty, amusing and mouthwatering are just a few words that appropriately describe each episode of this show.
What’s not to love about travel shows—except that I’ll crave savory food once I’m done watching even though I just finished dinner. Yeah, the camera work is that good. The food always looks that good too from the simple steamed under-a-damp-shammy oyster cook out to the ten plus course of French fusion cuisine with complementary wine for each dish. Now you’re hungry too, admit it!
WHAT IS IT GOOD FOR?
Environments:
Most shows interact with locals in popular food environments like the produce market, fish market, small village or crowded food joint. If you’re looking for metropolitan of crowded ‘down on the street’ inspirations, most episodes will have something for you. So far, I’ve started a 3D project to recreate a house from an episode of “No Reservations”.
Specifically, I want to recreate the home and kitchen from the Shanghai episode of “No Reservations”; the one where venturing into Yunnan province, Tony and crew forgot personal oxygen tanks for the increased elevation-the not so pleasant experience just to watch. Though waiting for them was a family of Yak hearders, striking a familiar resemblance to cowboy culture once in the America Midwest. The interior was stunning from the painted wooden walls. And I’m one who loves kitchens like this-a bubbling wok, a hand crafted net holding drying yak’s cheese and a variety of wok ladles handing on the wall. What I lack in words to describe, I hope you’ll visit the clip of Tony sharing this meal with the Yak herder family (and a lot of other curious visitors).
Also Tony and crew travel to more destinations outside of tourists’ scope-and thus have issues of running into political demonstrations (Thailand) and of course who can forget their Beirut episode; so if you want that kind of live feeling of confrontation, I would check out those episodes. Again, this show is a great reference for a variety of environmental subjects: old war monuments, Indian palaces and villages deep in a green, wet forest.
Character concepts:
If you can’t visit these foreign countries yourself, watching travel show episodes dedicated to a city or country’s food and culture is the next best resource. Now continuing with the Shanghai show example, the Yak herder family and the people in the Bah market dress themselves in rainbow-bursting clothing, some of my favorite styles to draw and recreate (second to the Peruvians in the Andes). So yeah, you’ll see a lot of chef jackets, but also monks, villagers, street vendors, market workers, butchers, ex-spies and many other people for your next character concept piece—Check ‘em out and get inspired by the variety of dress. I’m sure there are even more applications for this resource that I’m leaving out, so watch them and think of even more.
LINKS:
No Reservations-
He is the rock n roll chef and television host, switching back from leather jackets and The Ramones band shirts. 28 years working at a brasserie in New York City, he’s given up smoking and become a parent; but still knows how to down a drink with the locals This show enjoys being transparent, giving glimpses to the crew behind the scenes or pointing out the comical use of stunt fish. Again the vibe is very different from many travel-based shows I’ve seen and I love it-also the photography is the best in my opinion. Tony has many loyal fans which is why it’s pretty easy for find any episode on YouTube. Look up “No Reservations” plus “city or country name” and be whisked away. Or just go here and select at random; also almost all of his seasons are available for Netflix’s Instant Play.
Bizarre Foods-
Since I’ve only ever watched food travel shows on the Travel Channel, I know that this network has a variety of characters as their hosts. Andrew Zimmern of “Bizarre Foods” is the rainbow and unicorns reflection of Anthony: he’s much more informative and goes into detail explaining the cultural significance of the uncommon (to mostly Americans) food sources in various countries. I don’t watch his show as often, because his reactions to some of the most foul tasting or smelling foods are a little too much for me. I feel an embarrassment for him as he chokes down the aged shark or donkey milk in front of a local cook or vendor waiting for the approval of the host. He also has a loyal following, which put up episodes on YouTube; also a couple of his seasons are available for Netflix’s Instant Play.
Samantha Brown-
I’ve only watched one episode where she went to South America; however I’ve read her show comes from her background of beaches, cruises and the best vacation spots. She’s a small, spunky lady that covers more on the destination’s beaches and cuisine limited to restaurants—eh, not really a host I’m into, but also provides good footage. EDIT: Though now that I try to search for full episodes of hers on YouTube, I keep getting compilations of her in a bikini, so check out the Travel Channel’s website for the show time and clips.
I'm sure there are many more out there, so if you find some favorites, please share.
Thursday, April 15, 2010
4/15: Artistic Reference-Food Travel Shows
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment