Thursday, October 21, 2010

A Great Read For Freelancers

I never thought I'd become a raging fangirl of a book before. Especially a book about how to transform myself from struggling-art-school grad to awesome-self-employed-professional-illustrator. But in all honesty: this book changed my life. Or more appropriately, this book started wheels turning in my head, which led to decisions and changes to my habits that resulted in my improved daily outlook and organization, and will ultimately lead me to my career goals as an illustrator. Holly DeWolf and her amazing book, "Breaking into Freelance Illustration", did that for me.



I highly recommend this book to my fellow artists and recent art school grads that want to pursue a freelance career. While this book is specific to illustration, I believe the lessons are relevant for designers and other artists as well. DeWolf does a wonderful job filling in the void of business savvy, promotion and how to work from home that I failed to learn in school and those many months afterward. I also felt that Holly DeWolf was talking to me as opposed to me reading from an instructional textbook. She peppered the book with motivating quotes from famous figures and anonymous intellectuals and made resourceful lists (which I am keen on remembering) for each topic in the book. So instead of listening to me stutter on about this life-altering and motivating book, here are the chapters and a breakdown of what DeWolf talks about. The chapters are what peaked my interest in the first place:

CHAPTER1: THERE WAS A HOLE IN MY EDUCATION
As a fresh graduate, this chapter explains the misconceptions about illustration and preps you for realistic expectations as you enter in the professional creative job market.

CHAPTER2: HOME IS WHERE THE CREATIVITY IS
This chapter serves as a guide to setting up your creative work space, time management and creating the I'm-at-work mindset while working from home.

CHAPTER3: SHOW AND TELL
All the basics you need to know for branding and publicity. Also contains great references for books and sites dedicated to this topic.

CHAPTER4: OPEN FOR BUSINESS
This is what you've always wanted and didn't get in art school: How to be your own business.

CHAPTER5: AT YOUR SERVICE
There are a range of terrific to terrible clients. This chapters explains how to work (or not work) with both.

CHAPTER6: LET'S TALK NUMBERS
Pricing information and how to determine your own rates.

CHAPTER7: DIFFERENT STROKES FOR CREATIVE FOLKS
DeWolf motivates you to be comfortable with YOUR style and shares work from fellow professional artists.

CHAPTER8: HANDLING PROBLEMS THE CREATIVE WAY
Ever had a moment of artist's block? This chapter gives alternatives to the normal drink-more-coffee-and-force-your-creativity-through method.

CHAPTER9: BRING YOUR TALENTS TO THE TABLE
Artists can't survive and become famous without first becoming involved with the art community and sharing your precious artwork.

The book ends with a listing of the mentioned resources in the book (all the websites, books, artists and their professional sites). I hope the listing of the chapters will get you reading and help you turn your dream of becoming a professional freelance artist into a realistic staircase to climb and overcome.

0 comments:


Blogspot Template by Isnaini Dot Com. Powered by Blogger and Supported by Home Interiors