Sunday, March 6, 2011

ArtOrder: Segmentation Challenge

Whew. What a crazy week. Actually, the rest of March will be pretty busy. My boyfriend is graduating, so I'm taking on more responsibility so that he may finish his portfolio and make it as awesome as possible. Check out his 3D work and the rest of his portfolio at www.luketurpeinen.com. I'll be posting more about his work when portfolio day has passed along with some pictures.

Now with all this craziness going on (and after recording a 4 hour podcast with Shaun of Shauncastic), I still found time to discover Jon Schindehette's new art challenge at ArtOrder. Apparently, Wizards of the Coast are trying some new things. Top. Secret. Things. Jon (for those who have missed my previous mentions of him, he's the Art Director for Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition) was kind enough to give some slight details on the project. WotC has mainly focused on one age demographic: the "seasoned males, ages 30-45"; but in order to target different demographics or segments, Jon took a 4th edition art piece and gave it to artist outside the normal freelance pool for Dungeons and Dragons. Theses artist were tasked with recreating the piece, but in their distinct style. The results were many art pieces that "addressed audiences outside [WotC's] traditional segments. After Jon reports his findings to the higher-ups, he's promised to share the pieces with his ArtOrder community. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and will share the pieces with everyone as soon as they are available!

So this brought about the Segmentation Challenge! Submit one or as many pieces as you want before March 20th, so long as each piece targets a different segment. You can find the details of the challenge here. And visit http://artorder.ning.com/ to post your progress and receive feedback from the helpful and friendly ArtOrder community.

I've started design on my fighter, targeting the 13-17 year olds and going for the cartoon style of the DC Animated Series like Young Justice and their movies like Green Lantern and Crisis on Two Earths:




She is one of the best damn things I've drawn in a while. I don't know if it was the new job, stress with get the house and life organized for Luke's graduation or just an artist's block, but I haven't been able to draw anything worthwhile until last night! Bring on the creative juices! Keep 'em flowing! I'll be sure to post my progress, so keep an eye out for updates.

0 comments:


Blogspot Template by Isnaini Dot Com. Powered by Blogger and Supported by Home Interiors